Monday, October 20, 2008

Write About Jesus Workshop 2008

Thank You, Lord for taking me to the Write About Jesus workshop!!!
I know it was YOU!!!!

Thank you, John & Sue Smith,
for capturing the vision and, with God's help,
making it soar!!!
Although this was only my first time to attend,
you welcomed me in as family!!!
Thanks for being REAL!!!
For being all God wants you to be!!!
You DO make a difference!!!

And the drumroll, please ././././././././././.
introducing my "new" lil bro, Eric, and his wife (and me)




A huge highlight of the workshop was getting to meet Michelle & Eric Myers of Troy, MO. Eric and I have written together for over a year, but hadn't met until Thursday. Woot-woot! Yay, God!!! I just posted some of our songs HERE Holding Me, No Regrets, & I Will Sing. You'll LOVE them...ck 'em out!!! Eric is an outstanding writer, and it is a privilege to call him my brother!

You, Amazing Me, is also posted, which came from a quiet time with the Lord. By the next day, Eddie Cavazos, of San Antonio, had sent me a beautiful production!!! I couldn't believe it!!! I entered You, Amazing Me into the song competition. It didn't place, but I know it's the one the Lord wanted me to submit. Having songs critiqued was a great experience.

In my open critique session, I was comforted to see the familiar face of Mike Mitcham, an awesome online co-writing friend...Mike & I started several songs earlier this year, and committed to finish at least one (this year? did we sign on the dotted line?) She Whispered to God is probably my favorite of those we've written together. I'll post when it's done. But there's also a southern gospel song, a contemporary Christian one, and I believe I sent him a lyric that answered Oprah's question about "What About Jesus"...can't wait to finish that! The open crit went well, btw, as Phil Mehrens listened and gave suggestions on how to improve Shadow of El Shaddai. I appreciated his feedback for minor tweaks. Great man. Great musician! I admire Phil's calming affect on a room...he doesn't create tension:)

That group was filled with excellent songwriters. I know this tiny speck of iron within me was sharpened by the chunk of iron seen in their lives!!!

That was Friday. On Saturday we had our competition song critiqued. That was quite interesting. Twila Labar & Johnathan Crumpton were the judges. They were EXCELLENT!!! I learned from their feedback for my own song, but also for the other songs that morning. Such depth and experience...but they walk in all humility and meekness. I think that's what I was most impressed with, that none of the clinicians saw themselves as superior to others. And they spoke the truth with love!

There were classes other than critiques...here's the list of the ones I attended...I'll tell what I learned in tomorrow's blog:
  1. Co-writing Demonstration w/ Joel Lindsey & Twila Labar
  2. Recognizing Genres w/ Joel Lindsey & Holly Zabka
  3. Crafting Great Lyrics w/ Dave Clark
  4. Knowing Your Gifts and Limitations w/ Mark Roach
  5. Writing for the Country Market w/ Don Poythress (and Chad Cates, yeah!)
  6. Out of the Box and Off the Wall: Writing for Kids w/ Johnathan Crumpton, Gina Boe & Sue Smith
  7. Writing on Assignment for Your Church w/ Gina Boe, Sue Christensen & Lisa Qualsett
  8. Being Your Own Publisher w/ Twila Labar

It may take more than one day for me to write about those, no?

All in all, I felt like I was at a family reunion. You know the kind, where, you ask someone "who's that? I know her face, but can't remember her name!" I've known several people from simply interacting on the WAJ discussion board, but it was such a joy to meet face to face.

As at any reunion, there were missing faces. I was missing Andrea & Edwin Parker (it was Andrea who introduced me to WAJ and she listed ME in her cd's credits, as her mentor...exactly who mentors whom?). Other WAJ regulars had to miss...even some clinicians took the year off. I heard names again and again, as ppl were looking for friends.
Maybe the 10th anniversary, in 2009, will draw us together before the Lord, for some special time together!!!

What a blessing to meet those who promised to pray for Liz as she faced the challenges in Africa! Nothing compares to the sweetness of gathering with those you've been pulling for, asking God to bring healing, provision, direction, protection...oh, the list goes on, how a prayer request draws hearts together.

Before I forget, I do want to admit that I stuck out a sore thumb with my TEXAS ACCENT!!! Plus, I had a few "oops" moments, like, one time when I said, "Bless his heart" about someone whose music is very popular because it's GREAT, I was told, "Where I'm from, that means he's already 6 feet under!" Well, I guess I'll drop THAT from my vocab!

I was about to POP when Kerry Cox got up to sing "The Best View Ain't Always from the Top" because he's a great family guy AND it's a great song that reflects just that. I was singing along, cuz we'd crossed paths and we exchanged ideas about our songs...I felt like a proud mama in the crowd because I was the only one singing along. I tried to be discreet. Really!!!

Tricia Zody NAILED her song (oops I forgot the name of it...but I love all her stuff)

Dean Pyle. New to me. Great stuff. Oh, Dean was the WAJ tshirt guy!!! Yay!!!

Kara Smith of Cheyenne, WA. Felt like I'd known her forever. Diamond Horizon is a beautiful song, Kara!!! Keep singing!!!

Melisa Joy Wood you better keep in touch!!!



4 comments:

lisi said...

yay yay!! soooo cool eva! i love ya so..
love to hear about your great time at the workshop with such neat folks and see pictures too!
hope to talk soon! big big hugs.. lis

Anonymous said...

Eva --

It was great to meet you. I LOVE the WAJ family and I'm so glad that you had a good time.

Nick

Anonymous said...

Michelle and I were so glad to see you face-to-face finally! Email me that pic of us...please!

Tim Wheeler said...

So good to finally meet you, Eva! Hope we have many more chances to exchange ideas.

Tim