Thursday, August 14, 2008

Closer than Your Heartbeat, the song, the story

In all humility and gratitude, I'd like to share this story:

Over 2 yrs ago, while I was in a Bible study class called MotherWise, something Denise Glenn had penned in the workbook jumped right off the page at me. Pierced my heart with truth. She said that Jesus is closer than our very heartbeat. I began writing notes in my margin, and after class, went straight home so I could sing back to the Lord. I never dreamed I would ever share it with anyone else, as it was so close to my heart.

But God had other plans. and I sent a little worktape to my then-new friend, Deborah Ivris, in Israel. Deborah had translated a few of my songs into Hebrew, and her voice is so clear and resounding, it blessed my socks off! I only sent Closer Than Your Heartbeat as an encouragement to her heart, but soon she sent me an a cappella version back to me, expressing her heart, how the Lord had ministered to her.

Well, for over a year, the file sat in my computer. I don't have the know-how (or talent) to build a songtrack. I hear it in my heart and head, but can't get it from point A to point B.

But while on a forum at http://www.christiansongwriters.org the Father crossed my path with Paul Sumares of CA. He is brilliant & talented, but most of all, desires to honor the Father. We agreed to work together on several songs.

To my surprise, Paul took Deborah's vocals and crafted the song!!! Even with my meager chord ideas and inability to keep time, Paul structured this beautiful arrangement!!!

Thank you, Jesus!!!! (and many thanks to you, Deborah and Paul, for letting hear with my ears what I'd wanted to hear in my heart!!!!)

Here's what Paul said, in response to my note of thanks to him:

I see an arrangement like this as analogous to taking one's already beautiful daughter and adorning her with fine robes, perfumes and jewels … presenting her as a bride for the Son of the King. The tune, lyrics and spirit of the song are the main value of the gift which is offered out of love to God (the daughter). But the arrangement is a pleasure we have to gather some of the more precious and pleasing elements we see around us (which God Himself placed there for us to find), and with those, dress up that gift to show that He is deserving of all the glory and beauty that exists in creation.

What a beautiful display of Kingdom work, as we seek to glory in Him. (and can we give the Lord praise, for allowing us all to use the internet for HIS purposes!!!)



















Closer Than Your Heartbeat
(c)2006 Eva Wilson
vocals: Deborah Ivris
production: Paul Sumares

B2 F#/A#
Nothing can keep you from God's love
B2 F#/A#
Nothing in life, not even death
C#m/E F#
Jesus is closer than your heartbeat
C#m/E F#
Nearer than your very breath
B2 F#/A#
He's alive. (He's alive.)
B2 F#/A#
He is here. (He is here)
C#m/E F#
He’s all you need (He's all you need)
B
He's closer than your heartbeat

C#m/E
I am convinced
F#
Neither death nor life,
C#m/E
Neither angels nor demons,
F#
Neither the present nor the future,
E7
Nor any powers. Nothing.
C#m/E
Neither height nor depth,
F#
Nor anything else in all creation,
G#m F#
Can keep you from God's love
G#M F#
Nothing can keep you from God's love
B
In Christ.

B2 F#/A#
Nothing can keep you from God's love
B2 F#/A#
Nothing in life, not even death
C#m/E F#
Jesus is closer than your heartbeat
C#m/E F#
Nearer than your very breath
B2 F#/A#
He's alive. (He's alive.)
B2 F#/A#
He is here. (He is here)
C#m/E F#
He’s all you need (He's all you need)
B
He's closer than your heartbeat


Whehehehehehew!!! We love you, Jesus!!!

Oh, you can hear the Hebrew translations Deborah made at http://www.evawilsonmusic.com

(and for you songwriters, it may be a learning experience to hear my original worktape at http://www.soundclick.com/evawilson so you can hear how God can make something from "almost" nothing) ;)

1 comment:

LindaSmith said...

Eva - thank you for sharing your heart. How wonderful it is to hear how God put this song together. You are such a blessing.