Friday, August 8, 2008

What's in YOUR Wall?

A convo I recently had with my friend, Paul Sumares reminded me of my parents. Paul is a solid man, strong in his faith in Christ Jesus, and committed to family values. It has been a joy to work with him on some music this summer. What a blessing to have his special touch on songs God planted in my heart!

Well, something he said in a convo this week reminded me of my folks. The best I can remember, neither of my parents ever ran for any kind of office. Not even PTA. Not that PTA is a lowly office. You know what I mean. They never sought public attention. Unless writing letters to the editor counts...I guess I got the bold streak from my mother. Never at a loss for words.

In my mind's eye, Mom and Dad were not even considered pillars of the community. But they were definitely an important part. There was a steadfastness that reminds me of a wall. But not just any wall. This wall stood the test of time. The test of trials. All because of God's grace, and their willingness to receive it.

Now, I look at my own life. My marriage. My parenting. I don't think I can be a wall. I don't think I'm made of the same stuff my mom is made of. But I'd like to think of myself as a stud. A backbone, if you will. Almost useless if standing alone, but with others joining in the framework, we can serve as a support to those walls.

Do I have it in me to stand firm? Not to sway? Only by His mercy!

Some days I think my kids are the nails, holding me in place. Keeping me on my knees.

Some days I think my kids are the hammer, driving those very painful points right where they need to be.

Either way, I'm asking myself, "What's in YOUR wall, Eva?" I'm not pleased with my answer. I want the strength, the dignity, and respect that the generation before me had. But there's no shortcut from point A to point Z.

No comments: