Sunday, August 31, 2008

Katrina's Anniversary

shelter



I saw a handmade sign similar to that as I drove
from Houston to Dallas in Sept, 2005.
It's very telling, isn't it?

I can't believe it's been 3 yrs since Katrina hit the Gulf of Mexico.
In some ways, it seems like it was more recent.
But in other ways,
it was so long ago.
May we not forget the darkness of the heart of man,
and the need for the Light of the World!

As we pray for the safety of those of us in the Gulf,
let's remember to pray for their spiritual safety, too.

Psalm 91:1-2
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
This I declare about the Lord
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
He is my God, and I trust him

Back in 2005, the week of Katrina,
the Lord poured a song into my heart.
I was in the middle of studying Isaiah 60
in a Joy of Living class,
and Arise and Shine jumped off the page.
I was familiar with the passages,
and had the childhood song etched in my mind
(Rise, Shine, give God the glory, glory).

But this was a more somber look at the passages:

1 Arise, shine; For your light has come!
And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
2 For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth,
And deep darkness the people;
But the LORD will arise over you,
And His glory will be seen upon you.
5 Then you shall see and become radiant,
And your heart shall swell with joy
16 You shall know that I, the LORD,
am your Savior and your Redeemer

Darkness did cover New Orleans, with no electricity,
then deep darkness covered the people,
as rioting and looting broke out.
Yet the Lord did indeed arise over His people,
and His glory was seen,
as we served in the shelters in Houston and elsewhere.

Martin Luther King Jr. said
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that."

I pray you can meet with the Lord
as you listen to Arise and Shine.

And I pray you will find shelter in His shadow today!!!

Arise and Shine, at http://www.soundclick.com/evawilson

No comments: